Friday, January 15, 2010

6 Years Ago Today

I can't believe it! Six years ago, I was laid up in a hospital bed and had been there for 17 days... not able to get out of bed, go shower, go to the bathroom - nothing. And worse than that, I was laying tipped upside down (not all the way but so that my head was lower than my pelvis). Besides for the headaches from the blood rushing to my head, I felt mostly nothing due to all the medication I was on to keep two little babies in my tummy for as long as possible. They weren't supposed to be born until April 30th. And we had no idea if they were boys or girls or one of each. All we knew is that the one that was the lowest was trying to get out.

On January 14th it started. Serious labor! Okay so I had been having labor pains thus the reason for the bed rest and the cervix completely dilated. However, on January 14, 2004, I didn't get more than 5 minutes of sleep at one time - then it turned to no longer than 4, than 3, than 2. Oh my goodness! It was horrible. Especially having my husband sound asleep next to me on the bed. They kept giving me medicine that was supposed to stop the labor - it didn't! Finally the next morning came. I couldn't eat breakfast and Michael headed off to work as normal. 11 am came around and I called my doctor which then told the doctor that was doing rounds to check on me. He didn't "thoroughly" check me cause if he did - he would have realized that it was time. He just said "keep doing what you are doing" and walked off. Seriously!!! These labor pains are not the normal ones I have had for the past 16 days. This is serious labor and you didn't even check me. So my next step - call my hero - Michael! Crying in the phone to him, I guess he realized it was serious. He hung up. Called my real doctor and told him what was going on and my doc told me he would check on me after he does a scheduled c-section at 1 pm. The next 2 hours went by very slow (besides daytime tv stinks!!)

1:30 pm - my doc comes in to my room (okay this is a graphic part so sorry), barely puts his fingertips in to check the position of baby 1 - and looks at me and asks how far away is Michael. Baby #1 was hanging down the canal - not good! I called Mike and he hurried as quick as possible (fortunately he was only 10 minutes away). Baby 1 was pulled out at 2:11 and Baby 2 at 2:12. The delivery room looked like a party because for each baby being pulled out there was a team of several nurses plus the neonatologist, the anesthesiologist, and of course the nurses and my doctor for me. They whisked the babies out of the room - we didn't hear one cry nor did we hear the doctor say "It's a girl or It's a boy" so we are not only wondering the status of our babies' health but what sex are they??!!! Finally a nurse came in and said that both girls are doing fine and are on ventilators. FINALLY!! We know what we have - two beautiful girls.

That afternoon in the hospital room - we finalized our babies names. We already had two girls names chosen but we had to throw in a second middle name just because of what they were about to go through and we knew that God was going to be with them and also a reminder to us to keep the faith and hope! Mikayla Julia Faith was baby #1 - born at 2 lbs. 1 oz - 13 1/2 inches. Delilah Joanna Hope was baby #2 - born at 1 lb 14 oz - 13 inches.

It was a long grueling time in the hospital and even for the next several years. Times of isolation, keeping them away from large groups. Lots of therapies. Now 6 years later - they are two of the most vibrant, beautiful, smart, hilarious, and loving girls I ever have known (of course I am biased!!) I thank God for them every day. Even days full of bickering, I look at them and am amazed that God trusted these two precious blessings to us. They are now in Kindergarten and continuing to grow into beautiful girls that love God, love their family and friends, and especially love each other.

Happy Birthday Delilah Joanna Hope! Happy Birthday Mikayla Julia Faith! We will always love you - more than you will ever know!!

No comments: